Massachusetts Agents – if you or any of your clients have been affected by the tornadoes in central and western Massachusetts, The Property Casualty Insurers Association is offering the following recovery information for affected homeowners, renters and business owners.
Most tornado, windstorm, hail and similar severe weather – related losses are covered either by homeowners, renters or commercial insurance policies. According to PCI, tornado losses to a home are covered by the “windstorm” peril under the homeowner’s insurance policy. Renters insurance also provides coverage to policyholder possessions under this peril. Business owners are covered under their commercial policies. Protection from windstorm or hail damage for cars is covered under the “comprehensive” portion of the automobile insurance policy.
Agents who have clients that may have experienced property damaged as a result of the tornadoes should contact them with the following information:
- Clients should secure property from further damage or theft;
- Then conduct an inventory of losses and photograph the damage to provide to the insurance adjustor;
- Save receipts for any damage-related purchase in order to file it with their reimbursements;
- If your client is a business owner, tell them to keep detailed records of business activity negatively affected due to the tornado;
- Also business owners should keep a list of extra expenses during the interruption;
- Tell your clients to be prepared to show the income from their businesses from both before and after a loss.
- Be sure to tell your clients that many standard homeowners and renters policies provide reimbursements for additional living expenses when a property is uninhabitable due to damage and can include necessary living expenses such as temporary housing, restaurant meals and even overnight parking and laundry services.
- If your client needs to rebuild or have construction work done, tell them to contact you or your local business bureau for contractor references in order to avoid unscrupulous contractors.
For further information, agents can review the storm-related emergency answers at the PCI Tornado Headquarters.