Website Boston Mutual Life Insurance Company
Family Matters. No Matter What.
Boston Mutual Life Insurance Company (Boston Mutual) was founded in 1891 and has been a stable financially strong company for 125 years. Boston Mutual is proud to promote our corporate principles of Service, Value, and Integrity. As well as being a financially strong and reputable company to do business with, Boston Mutual offers its employees a wide array of competitive benefits to full time employees. These include Health, Dental, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance, generous paid vacation time, free parking, paid holidays, 401K program, Flex Spending, tuition reimbursement, and an employee assistance program as well as offering flexible work schedules.
All Boston Mutual employees who interact with our policyholders, our producers and our BML associates embrace the principles of our brand and service philosophy. We are all brand ambassadors. Both our words and our behaviors matter. We share a common service philosophy and pride ourselves in living the BML brand promises every day, one interaction at a time.
We do our best to:
- Demonstrate a desire to assist.
- Listen for understanding and respond empathetically.
- Explain things in a manner that is easy to understand.
- Be knowledgeable students of our business.
- Take full ownership to resolve questions and issues.
- Be professional, polite and courteous.
- Leave our customers and associates “better than where we found them.”
The Underwriter/Senior Underwriter is responsible for underwriting new and reenrollment cases and demonstrates the highest levels of service professionalism in all they do.
The Underwriter/Senior Underwriter is expected to:
- Apply sound, creative underwriting and business judgment in the timely analysis and evaluation of insurance risks to contribute to the growth and profitability of the organization. This includes reviewing prospects for group insurance benefits whether census or voluntary based, analyzing manual rated groups, running and analyzing experience rated groups, preparing and releasing proposals, negotiating rates based on the competition, following up on the pending issues, cooperating with the reinsurers’ offices and updating the information for each quote in the Quote Log and rating system.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with assigned internal and external clients through professional negotiation, responsive communication, problem resolution and anticipation of internal and external client expectations.
- Manage new sold account reviews and approvals.
- Handle existing account change requests including review of requests for the policy changes on in force groups, assessing risk, presenting alternative plans, re-rating the group if necessary and approving/declining the amendment. Review financial results of existing accounts for renewal purposes and make appropriate rate and plan adjustments in order to maintain account profitability and that of our entire block of business.
- Special projects as needed.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Experience: Minimum 1 year of insurance/underwriting experience required as Underwriter or Minimum 5 years of insurance/underwriting experience required as Senior Underwriter
- Knowledge in underwriting policies, guidelines, practices and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively build and extend relationships.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with a strong decision-making capacity; demonstrated ability to take initiative with a “can do” attitude.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to context, substance and detail.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Shows initiative with the ability to create and implement changes that will improve workflow.
- Working knowledge of Boston Mutual Workplace Solutions or related industry products, enrollment systems and administrative processes preferred.
- Exceptional skills using MS Office.
Certifications/Licensures: CLU or FLMI preferred