A look at the shifts in market share of the top ten private passenger auto cos. in Mass.
Agency Checklists will be taking a monthly look at the major trends and movements of market share for the top ten private passenger automobile insurance companies in the Commonwealth. The aim is to provide a snapshot of what is happening in the market along with a review of the overall shifts and trends that are happening within the private passenger automobile marketplace. The data is provided courtesy of the Commonwealth Automobile Reinsurers, the statistical agent for motor vehicle insurance in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Since the charts speak for themselves, there is limited analysis, let us know if you find this helpful.
The Top Ten As of August 2014, the most recent month for which data is available
- The Commerce Insurance Company (26.5%)
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company (11.8%)
- Safety Insurance Company (10.9%)
- Arbella Mutual Insurance Company (9.1%)
- Plymouth Rock Assurance Company (5.9%)
- GEICO (5.4%)
- Metropolitan Property and Casualty Insurance Company (4.3%)
- The Hanover Insurance Company (3.4%)
- Amica Mutual Insurance Company (3.3%)
- United Services Auto Association (3.0%)
Changes in market share since August 2013
The top seven writings companies remained essentially unchanged since August 2013. have remained unchanged, albeit their market share has shifted. The Hanover and Amica switched spots with The Hanover moving down a notch and Amica moving up one. The only major change is in the tenth spot which was held by The Premier Insurance Company of Massachusetts and is now claimed by the United Services Auto Association.
Changes in market share since August 2007 (the year before the arrival of Managed Competition)
The top ten private passenger auto insurance companies in August 2004 (ten years ago)