Website The N&D Group
Reports to: Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager
At The N&D® Group, we have been covering local homeowners, drivers, and businesses with personalized insurance policies since 1825. As a locally grown insurance company, we partner with independent agencies to deliver comprehensive and easy-to-use products. We provide a rewarding and engaging workplace, where you will be surrounded by a responsive and knowledgeable team of insurance professionals.
As a Commercial Underwriter you will work closely with assigned agencies to select profitable risks and build a profitable portfolio of accounts.
- Reviews new and renewal commercial lines business received from independent agents to determine acceptability.
- Develops and cultivates internal and external relationships.
- Analyzes risks and other variables, including type & amount of coverage, loss control, credit reports, and loss experience.
- Ensures that all required information is provided to properly assess risks.
- Exercises judgment and creativity in modifying terms, pricing or commission on otherwise unacceptable risks, to make them acceptable.
- Verifies adequacy of coverage, type and location of risk, age and condition of property.
- Calls for inspections, audit reports or further information from agents to verify conditions affecting degree of risk.
- Reviews endorsement requests for acceptability and accuracy.
- May institute legal notices for cancellation and subsequent reinstatement, if warranted, with notification to agents.
- Arranges for facultative reinsurance when appropriate.
- Corresponds via telephone, email/mail and in-person with agents on a regular basis on various underwriting and rating matters.
- Visits agency offices to meet with production staff in order to solicit business and develop strong working relationships.
- Trains agency staff on N&D® Group guidelines, products and systems to promote profitable growth.
- 3-5+ years of experience as a Commercial Lines Underwriter or comparable position.
- Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent in experience. A minimum of five years of Commercial Lines Underwriting experience may substitute for the desirable education requirements.
- Willingness to actively pursue CPCU designation
- General knowledge of insurance laws and regulations and of Company practices regarding underwriting commercial insurance lines
- Ability to evaluate applications, to identify pertinent information and to exercise objective judgment in making good underwriting decisions
- Ability to communicate effectively with independent agents
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Energetic and willing to be part of the team
We offer a competitive total compensation package including medical, dental, vision & life insurance, pension and a 401(k) with match.
Our offices are located on the Charles River in historic Dedham, Massachusetts. Our employees enjoy the use of a subsidized on-site café, fitness center and free parking.
The Norfolk & Dedham Group® is an Equal Opportunity Employer