The latest numbers for our last bi-monthly market share update on the Massachusetts Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace are here. All of the data focuses on March 2021, the latest date for which complete data is available.
As always, many thanks to the Commonwealth Automobile Reinsurers, which acts as the statistical agent for motor vehicle insurance in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and provides Agency Checklists with all the data presented here.
An overview of the Private Passenger Marketplace in the United States
The Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace continues to be the largest line of insurance in the U.S. with a total of $253,238,614,669 in Direct Written Premiums. This represents approximately 34.40% of all reported written premiums in the U.S.
In total, the U.S. Property & Casualty Marketplace has a total of $725,264,505,782 in Direct Written Premiums and $710,699,877,156 in Direct Premiums Earned in 2020. To learn more about the latest national results, view Agency Checklists’ NAIC 2020 Market Share Report here.
An overview of the Private Passenger Marketplace in Massachusetts
In addition to CAR’s updates on the Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace throughout the year, the Division of Insurance also publishes an official statement on the state of this market each year.
Unlike CAR’s raw data, however, the Division’s Market Share Report’s most recent report on this marketplace dates from 2018 and reflects an official tally and analysis of complete data for that year. For those interested in accessing the DOI’s latest numbers please refer to Agency Checklists MA Market Share Report 2020: Private Passenger Auto Insurers.
A breakdown of the Marketplace in Massachusetts by Exposures and Market Share
A list of all the current writers of Private Passenger Auto Insurers as ranked by premiums and corresponding market share. The following are some insights from this month’s data:
- As of March 2021, MAPFRE/Commerce continues to be the largest private passenger auto insurer in Massachusetts with a 21.69% market share.
- Safety Insurance, which was the third largest writer, is now listed as the fourth, while Liberty Mutual is the the third largest with an 8.81% market share.
- Zurich is now listed as the 18th largest writer with 11,598 exposures representing a 0.93% market share.
- To show any changes in this list as compared to our last look at this market place, if an insurer has increased or decreased its market share it is noted in the parenthesis.
A look at the state of the Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace
|3.||LIBERTY MUTUAL (up 1)||110,307||8.81%|
|4.||SAFETY (down 1)||104,088||8.32%|
|9.||U S A A||42,487||3.39%|
|11.||HANOVER (up 1)||35,597||2.84%|
|12.||AMICA MUTUAL (down 1)||33,608||2.69%|
|14.||ALLSTATE (up 1)||21,177||1.69%|
|15.||NORFOLK AND DEDHAM MUTUAL (down 1)||15,472||1.24%|
|20.||STATE FARM (up 1)||4,404||0.35%|
|21.||GREEN MOUNTAIN (down 1)||4,367||0.35%|
|22.||PURE (up 1)||3,066||0.25%|
|23.||ELECTRIC (down 1)||2,745||0.22%|
|24.||BANKERS STANDARD (up 4)||2,484||0.20%|
|25.||ESURANCE (up 1)||2,437||0.19%|
|26.||INTEGON (down 2)||2,346||0.19%|
|27.||FARM FAMILY (down 2)||2,103||0.17%|
|28.||TRUMBULL (down 1)||1,900||0.15%|
|29.||CINCINNATI (up 1)||800||0.06%|
|30.||AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL (down 1)||613||0.05%|
Shifts & Trends in the Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace
In order to give some perspective on the shifts in the marketplace over the past decade, the following three graphs depict the Top Ten Private Passenger Insurers for the month of March 2021, followed by the same graph for the same month, from five years earlier in March 2016, and then finally from a decade ago in March 2011.
The goal is to present a more complete perspective on how the Massachusetts automobile insurance market has shifted during this highlighted period. Unlike in past years, all of the past years included in this review have now been during “Managed Competition”.
Past market share reports and links
For those looking to reference Agency Checklists’ bi-monthly CAR reports from early this year, please refer to the links below.
- 1st Look 2021: The MA Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace
- 2nd Look 2021: The MA Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace
- 1st Look 2020: The Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace In Massachusetts
- 2nd Look 2020: The Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace in Massachusetts
- 3rd Look 2020: The Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace in Massachusetts
- 4th Look 2020: MA Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace
- Last Look 2020: The Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace In Massachusetts
- NAIC 2020 Market Share Report: The Top 25 Private Passenger Auto Insurers (U.S.)