The National Association of Insurance Commissioners has issued its annual Market Share Data Reports for both the Property & Casualty Insurance Marketplace, as well as for the Life & Fraternal Insurance Marketplace. As in the past, the data offered here reflects a compiled list of market share data based upon filings of countrywide premium submitted to the NAIC from Property & Casualty insurers as reported on the State Page of the NAIC’s annual statement for insurers.
The data is then compiled and included in various reports on cumulative market share data for the seven major lines of insurance in the United States: All lines; Private Passenger Personal Auto; Commercial Auto; Workers’ Compensation; Medical Professional Liability; Homeowners’ Multi-Peril; and Other Liability (excluding auto liability).
Key Points from This Year’s Report:
- With 65.62% of property and casualty insurance companies reporting so far, direct premiums written for all lines of business are $618,692,985,615.
- The Top 10 property and casualty companies reporting so far have a cumulative market share of 52.11%.
- Total private passenger auto insurance has the largest amount of direct premiums written reported as of March 1, 2023, at $178,365,401,539, which is about 29% of all written premiums.
Property & Casualty Market Share by Line of Business as of March 1, 2023
The Top 25 P&C Insurers by Countrywide Premium – All Lines
Please note the following data is updated on a weekly basis by the NAIC through the month of March. The updated data here reflects the latest data as of March 13, 2023, reflecting an estimated 97.27% of Property/Casualty filings.
|RANK||COMPANY NAME||DIRECT PREMIUMS WRITTEN||DIRECT PREMIUMS EARNED||MARKET SHARE%||CUMULATIVE|
|1.||STATE FARM GRP||78,643,121,353||75,087,861,668||9.07||9.07|
|2.||BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY GRP||56,879,630,785||55,774,920,048||6.56||15.63|
|4.||ALLSTATE INS GRP||45,512,585,131||43,781,750,635||5.25||26.92|
|5.||LIBERTY MUT GRP||45,262,773,319||43,846,872,417||5.22||32.14|
|7.||CHUBB LTD GRP||30,069,056,644||29,186,668,430||3.47||39.57|
|8.||UNITED SERV AUTOMOBILE ASSN GRP||26,864,180,934||26,027,074,550||3.10||42.67|
|9.||FARMERS INS GRP||26,416,672,176||25,756,089,136||3.05||45.71|
|10.||NATIONWIDE CORP GRP||20,323,219,939||19,851,691,693||2.34||48.06|
|11.||ZURICH INS GRP||17,618,547,773||16,863,971,341||2.03||50.09|
|12.||AMERICAN INTL GRP||15,465,483,892||15,427,244,789||1.78||51.87|
|13.||HARTFORD FIRE & CAS GRP||14,723,584,520||14,195,889,800||1.70||53.57|
|14.||AMERICAN FAMILY INS GRP||14,090,260,078||13,252,537,231||1.63||55.20|
|15.||CNA INS GRP||13,212,517,537||12,601,779,606||1.52||56.72|
|16.||TOKIO MARINE HOLDINGS INC GRP||11,145,749,895||10,803,661,573||1.29||58.01|
|17.||AUTO OWNERS GRP||10,988,166,287||10,432,620,672||1.27||59.27|
|18.||FAIRFAX FIN GRP||10,980,589,231||10,474,995,509||1.27||60.54|
|19.||WR BERKLEY CORP GRP||9,269,248,233||8,856,014,276||1.07||61.61|
|20.||ASSURANT INC GRP||8,715,910,989||8,400,153,388||1.01||62.61|
|21.||AMERICAN FINANCIAL GRP||8,653,780,425||8,457,031,963||1.00||63.61|
|22.||ERIE INS GRP||8,595,960,358||8,222,763,065||0.99||64.60|
|23.||MARKEL CORP GRP||8,297,030,904||7,888,818,149||0.96||65.56|
|24.||AXA INS GRP||7,683,024,996||7,855,474,659||0.89||66.45|
Links to our 2023 NAIC Market Share Reports
- Top 25 U.S. Commercial Auto Insurers | NAIC 2023 Market Share Report
- Top 25 U.S. Auto Insurers | NAIC 2023 Market Share Report
- Top 25 U.S. Medical Professional Liability Insurers | NAIC 2023 Market Share Report
Links to our 2022 NAIC Market Share Reports
- NAIC 2022 Market Share Report | The Top 25 U.S. P&C Insurers – All Lines
- NAIC 2022 Market Share Report | The Top 25 U.S. Homeowners’ Multiple Peril Insurers
- NAIC 2022 Market Share Report | The Top 25 U.S. Workers Compensation Insurers
- NAIC 2022 Market Share Report | The Top 25 U.S. Other Liability Insurers