The Insurance Fraud Bureau of Massachusetts’ E-Focus Fraud is published periodically throughout the year
The Insurance Fraud Bureau’s e-Focus Fraud is a periodic update on various cases that the IFB has been handling throughout the year. For those unfamiliar with the IFB, it is an investigative agency, authorized by an Act of Massachusetts law, to conduct criminal investigations and refer appropriate cases of insurance fraud for criminal prosecution. The agency is funded by both Massachusetts automobile and workers compensation insurers.
In addition to providing an update on various cases that it has been handling, this edition of focusFraud has an announcement that the IFB is organizing a Seminar on Agent Fraud slated for late April or early May of this year. The IFB plans to hold this event in Westborough and will be posting more details and how to register on its site which you can bookmark at www.ifb.org
As for what cases the IFB has been working on, here is a quick summary of what is in January’s e-focusFraud:
- Premium Evasion: A case update on a Woburn Business Owner who evaded more than $42,000 in worker’s compensation premiums.
- Claimant Fraud: An update on the case involving an East Boston Man who plead guilty to worker’s compensation fraud in August of 2012.
- Provider Fraud: An update on the case involving a Dudley Man and Holden Doctor who were sentenced for their participation in an insurance fraud scheme.
- Commercial Insurance Fraud: A look at a man from Stow who was arraigned on charges of presenting a false insurance claim and larceny.
- Disability Insurance Fraud: The case of a Watertown man indicted for six counts of insurance fraud and six counts of larceny.
- Automobile Insurance Fraud: This issue features two cases of automobile insurance fraud. The first is an update on a Methuen man who altered a document from the Division of Insurance in order to avoid an automobile surcharge from his insurer, Arbella. The second case involves an Everett woman involved in attempting to obtain auto insurance coverage from GEICO after the time of the accident.