The total Direct Written Premium for the Burglary & Theft Insurance marketplace in Massachusetts was $7,710,383
A total of 99 companies write this line of insurance in Massachusetts
In comparison with other lines of insurance, Burglary & Theft Insurance continues to be one of the smaller lines of insurance operating within the Commonwealth. In the same vein as the past few years, the marketplace is shrinking further. For example, in 2016, the DOI reported that there were 116 companies writing this line of insurance. By 2017, that number was 103, with 13 companies having stopped offering this line of insurance. In 2018, that number has been reduced again with the loss of four companies, bringing the total to 99 companies currently offering Burglary & Theft insurance.
Just a reminder that this report uses 2018 data which is the most recent year for which complete data is available and come courtesy of the Massachusetts Division of Insurance.
Are there any Massachusetts-based insurers on this Top 20 List?
No. While there are no Massachusetts-based insurers on this list, there are four insurers who are based in New England. They are as follows:
- Travelers Casualty & Surety,
- The Hanover Insurance Co.,
- North Amer Elite Ins Co.,
- Hartford Fire Insurance Co.
Last year the Massachusetts Bay Insurance Company was included on the list, but it did not make the top 20 for 2018.
Premium and Market Share
Signaling an additional reduction of the Burglary & Theft marketplace in Massachusetts, the total Direct Written Premium for this line of insurance also is less than just a year ago.
- Total Direct Written Premium for this entire marketplace was $7,710,383. In contrast, in 2017 total Direct Written Premium was $8,060,343.
- The top 20 insurers continue to dominate this market with a 93.7% market share and total Direct Written Premium of $7,227,322
- The remaining 79 companies represent the remaining 6.3% of the market with $483,061 dollars in Direct Written Premium.
The complete list of the top 20 writers in this line of insurance
|NAIC#||Company Name||State||Premium Written/MA||Market Share/MA|
|31194||Travelers Cas & Surety Co Of Amer||CT||$2,289,778||29.70%|
|20281||Federal Ins Co||IN||$1,011,235||13.12%|
|10200||Hiscox Ins Co Inc||IL||$653,780||8.48%|
|19445||National Union Fire Ins Co Of Pitts||PA||$579,738||7.52%|
|16535||Zurich Amer Ins Co||NY||$547,121||7.10%|
|22292||Hanover Ins Co||NH||$318,766||4.13%|
|20443||Continental Cas Co||IL||$295,503||3.83%|
|29599||Us Specialty Ins Co||TX||$265,793||3.45%|
|37885||Xl Specialty Ins Co||DE||$251,409||3.26%|
|23647||Ironshore Ind Inc||MN||$173,085||2.24%|
|29700||North Amer Elite Ins Co||NH||$152,990||1.98%|
|10030||Westchester Fire Ins Co||PA||$113,862||1.48%|
|19682||Hartford Fire Ins Co||CT||$97,655||1.27%|
|29459||Twin City Fire Ins Co||IN||$95,998||1.25%|
|32603||Berkley Ins Co||DE||$79,603||1.03%|
|18058||Philadelphia Ind Ins Co||PA||$76,156||0.99%|
|20346||Pacific Ind Co||WI||$75,559||0.98%|
|27154||Atlantic Specialty Ins Co||NY||$58,149||0.75%|
|25976||Utica Mut Ins Co||NY||$45,572||0.59%|
|20303||Great Northern Ins Co||IN||$45,570||0.59%|
Links to other 2020 Massachusetts Market Share Reports
- 2020 MA Market Share Report | Top Private Passenger Auto Insurers
- 2020 MA Market Share Report | Top Commercial Auto Insurers
- 2020 MA Market Share Report | Top Fire Insurance
- 2020 MA Market Share Report | Top Homeowners’ Insurers
- 2020 MA Market Share Report | Top Aircraft (All Perils) Insurers
- 2020 MA Market Share Report | Workers’ Comp Insurers
- 2020 MA Market Share Report | Top Life Insurers
- 2020 MA Market Share Report | Top Boiler & Machinery Insurers
- 2020 MA Market Share Report | Top Annuity Insurers
- 2020 Market Share Report | Top Ocean & Inland Marine Insurers
Link to our NAIC 2020 Market Share Reports for the U.S.
- NAIC 2020 Market Share Report: The Top 25 P&C Insurers in the U.S.
- NAIC 2020 Market Share Report: The Top 25 Private Passenger Auto Insurers (U.S.)
- NAIC 2020 Market Share Report: The Top 25 Commercial Auto Insurers
- NAIC 2020 Market Share Report: The Top 25 Other Liability Insurers
- NAIC 2020 Market Share Report: The Top 25 Homeowners Multi-Peril Insurers
- NAIC 2020 Market Share Report: Top 25 Workers’ Comp Insurers
- NAIC 2020 Market Share Report | The Top Cyber Insurers In The U.S.