Brown & Brown of Massachusetts has added the assets of Smithwick & Mariners Insurance, MidCoast Insurance and Chapman & Chapman Insurance (collectively, Smithwick & Mariners) to its growing ranks in the Commonwealth. Founded in 1987 to service the marine industry, Smithwick & Mariners has evolved its capabilities to provide innovative risk solutions to business owners and individuals throughout Maine and greater New England. The Smithwick & Mariners companies are led by Scott Smithwick and Chris Smithwick.
In commenting on this latest acquisition, Don McGowan, a regional president in Brown & Brown’s Retail segment, stated, “The Smithwick & Mariners companies are recognized in Maine and throughout New England for their experience and industry knowledge in the commercial fishing, marine and personal yacht space. Scott, Chris and their dedicated team have a long and mutually successful relationship with their carriers, allowing them to deliver best-in-class insurance solutions to their customers. We are confident we share the same culture of customer-first solutions and are excited to welcome them to the Brown & Brown team.”
According to the terms of the agreement, the Smithwick & Mariners team will continue doing business from their existing offices in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire and will operate within Brown & Brown’s Retail segment. Scott and Chris will continue to lead the team and will report to Don McGowan, a regional president in Brown & Brown’s Retail segment.
“The Smithwick & Mariners team is excited to be partnering with a firm like Brown & Brown who shares the same level of commitment to its customers, carriers and employees that we have for the past 35 years,” said Scott Smithwick in the official announcement. “We are very confident that this partnership will help to further strengthen Smithwick & Mariners’ product offering and level of service to both our marine and non-marine related customers.”
More about Brown & Brown
Brown & Brown, Inc. (NYSE: BRO) is a leading insurance brokerage firm, delivering risk management solutions to individuals and businesses since 1939. The Dayton Beach-based company is currently the 5th largest broker in the nation with over 500 agency acquisitions to its name. The following list are some of the previous agency acquisitions and company news involving Brown & Brown that Agency Checklists has covered:
- Brown & Brown Buys Berkshire Insurance Group For $41.5 Million
- Brown & Brown Debuts Bridge Specialty Group
- Brown & Brown Acquires Insurtech CoverHound
- Brown & Brown Acquires Quincy’s Amity Insurance Agency
- Brown & Brown Of Massachusetts Acquires Poole Professional Cos.
- Brown & Brown Of Massachusetts Acquires Boston’s Yozell Associates
- Twinbrook Acquired By Brown & Brown Of Massachusetts
- Brown & Brown Of Kentucky, Inc. Acquires Massachusetts’ Finance & Insurance Resources
- Brown & Brown Acquires Richard Endlar Insurance Agency
- Rodman Insurance Agency Acquired By Brown & Brown
- Brown & Brown, Inc. Joins The S&P 500