Liability Other than Auto, sometimes referred to General Liability, is a broad term used for that line insurance written to cover personal, professional and commercial risks, other than automobile. For example, liability arising from a slip and fall at an insured’s place of business or contractual liability.
Over three-hundred insurers write the Liability Other Than Auto insurance line
As one of the larger markets, this billion-plus marketplace includes approximately 217 insurers which currently write Commercial Multi-Peril in Massachusetts as of 2017, the latest year for which complete data is available from the Division of Insurance.
Only one Mass.-based insurer appears on the list of the top 20 writers of this line
Unlike the other market share reports in this week’s installment, Liability Other Than Auto is a line of insurance not dominated by Massachusetts-based insurers. In fact, there is only company, Arbella Protection Insurance, that appears on the top 20 list and calls Massachusetts home.
Premium and market share for this line of business
- The Total Direct Written Premium for all 334 insurers in the Liability Other Than Auto insurance marketplace was $1,426,462,975.
- The top 20 insurers claim a 53.1% share of the marketplace.
- Total Direct Written Premium for the top 20 writers in 2017 was $756,956,475.
- The remaining 314 companies claimed Total Direct Written Premium of $669,506,500 representing a 46.9% market share
The complete list of the top 20 insurers in this marketplace…
|Company Name||State||Premium Written/MA||Market Share/MA|
|1. Federal Ins Co||IN||$109,280,172||7.66%|
|2. National Union Fire Ins Co Of Pitts||PA||$107,481,894||7.53%|
|3. Continental Cas Co||IL||$64,403,297||4.51%|
|4. XL Specialty Ins Co||DE||$53,667,179||3.76%|
|5. Ace America Ins Co||PA||$50,487,679||3.54%|
|6. Arbella Protection Ins Co||MA||$39,828,066||2.79%|
|7. Travelers Cas & Surety Of Amer||CT||$39,503,214||2.77%|
|8. Zurich Amer Ins Co||NY||$37,716,191||2.64%|
|9. Philadelphia Ind Ins Co||PA||$32,879,924||2.30%|
|10. Travelers Prop Cas Co Of Amer||CT||$29,430,274||2.06%|
|11. Hanover Ins Co||NH||$23,967,836||1.68%|
|12. Everest Natl Ins Co||DE||$22,530,392||1.58%|
|13. Axis Ins Co||IL||$19,984,845||1.40%|
|14. Endurance Amer Ins Co||DE||$19,605,067||1.37%|
|15. Liberty Mut Fire Ins Co||WI||$19,402,153||1.36%|
|16. Starr Ind & Liab Co||TX||$18,015,748||1.26%|
|17. Arch Ins Co||MO||$17,647,135||1.24%|
|18. Beazley Ins Co Inc||CT||$17,572,445||1.23%|
|19. US Specialty Ins Co||TX||$17,047,223||1.20%|
|20. American Guar & Liab Ins||NY||$16,505,741||1.16%|
Other useful information about the Private Passenger Auto Insurance marketplace in Massachusetts
In addition to publishing the yearly market share data, Agency Checklists also published a report on some of the top writers in various lines nationally. Additionally, the links to all of our 2019 Massachusetts Market Share Reports can be found below.
- NAIC 2019 Market Share Report: Top 25 All Insurers
- NAIC 2019 US Market Share Report: Top 25 Private Passenger Auto Insurers
- NAIC 2019 US Market Share Report: Top 25 Homeowners Multi-Peril
- NAIC 2019 US Market Share Report: Top 25 Commercial Auto Insurers
- NAIC 2019 US Market Share Report: Top 25 Workers’ Compensation Insurers
Links to other 2019 Massachusetts Market Share Reports
- The Top 20 Writers of Aircraft (All Perils) Insurance In Massachusetts
- The Top 20 Writers of Ocean & Inland Marine Insurance In Massachusetts
- The Top 20 Writers of Fire Insurance In Massachusetts
- The Top 20 Writers of Life Insurance In Massachusetts
- The Top 20 Writers of Annuities Insurance In Massachusetts
- The Top 20 Workers Compensation Insurers In Massachusetts
- The Top 20 Writers of Fidelity & Surety Insurance in Massachusetts
- The Top 20 Writers of Homeowners’ Multi-Peril Insurance in Massachusetts
- The Top 20 Writers of Private Passenger Auto Insurance in Massachusetts
- The Top 20 Writers of Commercial Auto Insurance in Massachusetts