Our first bi-monthly update of the year reviews November 2020 data
The latest numbers for our last bi-monthly market share update on the Massachusetts Private Passenger Auto Insurance marketplace are here. All of the data focuses on NOVEMBER 2020, the latest date for which complete data is available.
As always, many thanks to the Commonwealth Automobile Reinsurers, which acts as the statistical agent for motor vehicle insurance in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and provides Agency Checklists with all the data presented here.
An overview of the private passenger marketplace in the United States
The Private Passenger Auto Insurance marketplace continues to be the largest line of insurance in the U.S. with a total of $253,238,614,669 in Direct Written Premiums. This represents approximately 36% of all reported written premiums in the U.S. It is an increase in Direct Written Premiums of $7,166,220,843 when compared to 2018 which had a total of $246,072,393,826.
As for Direct Premiums Earned, the amount also increased to $251,011,648,078 versus $242,054,605,219 in 2018. View Agency Checklists’ NAIC 2020 Market Share Report here.
An overview of the private passenger marketplace in Massachusetts
In addition to CAR’s updates on the Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace throughout the year, the Division of Insurance also publishes an official statement on the state of this market each year.
Unlike CAR’s raw data, however, the Division’s Market Share Report’s most recent report on this marketplace dates from 2018 and reflects an official tally and analysis of complete data for that year. For those interested in accessing the DOI’s latest numbers please refer to Agency Checklists MA Market Share Report 2020: Private Passenger Auto Insurers.
A breakdown of the Marketplace in Massachusetts by Exposures and Market Share
A list all the current writers of Private Passenger Auto Insurers as ranked by premiums and corresponding market share.
|COMPANY||EXPOSURES||MA MARKET SHARE|
|3. LIBERTY MUTUAL||374,581||8.45%|
|6. PLYMOUTH ROCK||284,697||6.43%|
|8. STANDARD FIRE||165,131||3.73%|
|9. U S A A||163,488||3.69%|
|10. AMICA MUTUAL||133,566||3.01%|
|14. QUINCY MUTUAL||74,884||1.69%|
|15. NORFOLK AND DEDHAM MUTUAL||54,340||1.23%|
|16. NATIONAL GRANGE||53,093||1.20%|
|17. VERMONT MUTUAL||48,671||1.10%|
|18. PREFERRED MUTUAL||21,281||0.48%|
|19. STATE FARM||19,030||0.43%|
|20. GREEN MOUNTAIN||16,478||0.37%|
|21. BANKERS STANDARD||12,269||0.28%|
|26. FARM FAMILY||7,228||0.16%|
|28. AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL||3,062||0.07%|
|30. OCCIDENTAL INS||1,304||0.03%|
|31. HARLEYSVILLE WORCESTER||1,291||0.03%|
|33. MARKEL AMERICAN||35||0.00%|
A look at the shifts & trends in this marketplace over the past decade
In order to give some perspective on the shifts in the marketplace over the past decade, the following three graphs depict the Top Ten Private Passenger insurers for the month of NOVEMBER 2020, followed by the same graph from five years earlier in 2015, and then finally from a decade ago in 2010.
The goal is to present a more complete perspective on how the Massachusetts automobile insurance market has shifted during this highlighted period. Unlike in past years, all of the past years included in this review have now been during “Managed Competition.” With that, the following are some shifts worth noting based on the graphs below.
- GEICO continues to increase its market share with a .20% increase to 15.50%. This figure represents more than double its market share in 2015, when it was 7%.
- The Commonwealth’s largest auto insurer MAPFRE/Commerce continues to lead the marketplace place with a 22.20% market share. It should be noted, however, that its market share has been reduced 8.4% since 2010 when it commanded a 30.6% share of this same marketplace.
- Safety Insurance also has seen a decline in its Private Passenger Automobile market share. In November2010, the Boston-based insurer was the second-largest private passenger auto insurer in the Commonwealth with a 11.6% market share. As of November 2020, it is the fourth-largest with an 8.4% share, albeit only 0.1% less than third-place Liberty Mutual.
Past market share reports and links
For those looking to reference Agency Checklists’ bi-monthly CAR reports from early this year, please refer to the links below.
- 1st Look 2020: The Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace In Massachusetts
- 2nd Look 2020: The Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace in Massachusetts
- 3rd Look 2020: The Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace in Massachusetts
- 4th Look 2020: MA Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace
- Last Look 2020: The Private Passenger Auto Insurance Marketplace In Massachusetts
- NAIC 2020 Market Share Report: The Top 25 Private Passenger Auto Insurers (U.S.)